Please don't put yourself last!
Mothering can be tough, even in a two-parent family where the relationship is strong and the children are healthy and finances are stable and secure. When there are challenges on top of the usual hard work, it's easy to become discouraged and exhausted.
Some of these challenges include:
- Coping with your own medical or mental health issues
- Single parenting
- Mothering while in an unsupportive or unhappy relationship
- Mothering a child with a chronic medical illness*
- Mothering a child with psychological/behavioral problems*
- Juggling a demanding or highly unsatisfying job
- Caring for elderly parents
In my experience, mothers usually don't invest (time or money) in their own well-being until how they feel has begun to have a negative impact on their children. Don't wait that long! Please consider reaching out for support now.
“Nothing else will ever make you as happy or as sad, as proud or as tired...for nothing is quite as hard as helping a person develop his own individuality especially while you struggle to keep your own.”
--Marguerite Kelly and Elia Parsons